Our Common Purpose
Reinventing American Democracy for the 21st Century
Our Common Purpose: Reinventing American Democracy for the 21st Century, lays out a case for renewed civic faith. It offers a set of recommendations for building a fresh collective commitment to democratic citizenship, to American constitutional democracy, and to one another.
The report includes 31 ambitious recommendations and the following six imperatives to help the nation emerge as a more resilient democracy by 2026:
1) to achieve equality of voice and representation through our political institutions;
2) to empower voters in a lasting way;
3) to ensure the responsiveness of our political institutions;
4) to dramatically expand the capacity of civil society organizations that foster “bridging” across lines of difference;
5) to build civic information architecture that supports common purpose; and
6) to inspire a culture of commitment to American constitutional democracy and one another.
Get More Resources
Join our mailing list for new resources and tools right in your mailbox.
Support Our Work
Help us invest in the talent, ideas, and networks that will develop young people as effective, lifelong citizens.Ways to Support